The DL3 Data Logger from Fieldpiece Instruments measures and records any parameter from any accessory head Instrument we offer. It holds up to 20,000 data points and can be set to record in a range from once every second to once every 999 hours. Record and export data in .xls format to your PC for use in work orders, troubleshooting and service contracts. A real-time clock time stamps every data point for pinpoint accuracy. Use multiple data loggers to monitor several parameters to make troubleshooting and commissioning easier.We’ve updated the function of the DL3 to include features you asked us to add. Combined with our accessory head instruments, we’re comfortable saying the DL3 is the most versatile data logger for HVAC/R field service.
The DL3 measures any single parameter from any of our accessory head instruments from once every second to once every 999 hours. For example, if you wanted to measure the temperature of a walk-in refrigeration unit, you could use any accessory head that measures temperature through a k-type thermocouple over night, for a few day, or, (although unlikely) once every month and 11.625 days. Point is whatever the goal you’re trying to accomplish, troubleshooting, commissioning, service contracts, or validating work orders, the DL3 can handle it.
Set up the data logger to record for your desired length of time, and at your desired frequency. Record. Then either read the results on the DL3 or download to a computer.
- Set SPAN, or how long you want to record data. Data can be recorded from 1 second to 999 days.
- Set PER, or period. PER is how often you want to record data. Data can be recorded from once a second to once every 999 hours.
- Set TRIG, or trigger. Use TRIG to set the DL3 to record only data points that fall outside a pre-set range you define.
- Set MULT. This is for accessory heads that require you to move the decimal.
- Set dial to the appropriate mV range and the reading will be displayed in LCD.
To begin recording, press START. At any time, you can press RECORD to add a data point, complete with a real time stamp. A new data set is started when the rotary dial position is changed. Previous data sets are maintained until the DL3 is cleared.
To view results, select READ/SEND, press MIN/MAX/AVG to see min, max and average. Press the up and down arrows to scroll through the data or to change data sets.
Using Multiple Data Loggers
A common customer complaint is "The system runs all the time." With multiple DL3s, you can determine if the system is indeed running all the time as well as troubleshoot the cause of the problem. Put one DL3 with an ACH4 on the condenser to log amperage to track the time when the system is running and how hard. At the same time, log indoor temperature by using the DL3 with an ARH4 to see if the target temperature is being reached and if the system is performing as it should.
By downloading the data from two DL3s into a spreadsheet you can analyze it, line up the times, format the data and perform mathematical operations. You can graph it too. All formatting is done in Excel.
Features and Benefits
Designed exclusively for logging HVAC/R parametersthe DL3 gives technicians accurate, time stamped results in a compact design. Other features and benefits include:
- TRIG (trigger) switch position. Set DL3 to record only the data you need.
- Enhanced data scroll.
- Bright, blue backlight.
- Export data in .xls format.
- Record data points manually, automatically, or trigger to log outside a range.
- Real-time clock: second, minute, hour, day, month, year.
- All data points are time stamped.
- Multiple data sets of various parameters can be stored.
- Easy downloading to a PC.
- Cost-effective, multi-channel recording using multiple DL3 Data Loggers.
- 20,000 data points.
- Combine with the AAV3 Anemometer to easily determine CFM.
There are a ton of dedicated parameter data loggers out there, We don’t know any that is as versatile for HVAC/R field service. Using the Fieldpiece accessory head instruments you can measure almost every parameter you need to verify or document for in HVAC/R be it electrical or other. Then you can store all of them - up to 20,000 data points on the DL3 until you’re ready to download them to your PC. The included software makes customizing your .xls documents with your company logo and more a breeze. Create comparison charts and more. If you’re like a lot of the top contractors, that is to say, if you’re in the business of verification, diagnostics and explaining the work you do to your customer, this data logger is a must have.